Friday, October 7, 2011

Why am I not running more? and What to do in the Spring?

Let's see!   I have been doing far more of what I want and far less of what is good for me.   That should read, I have been staying up too late watching TV (totally hooked on TerraNova) and playing board games with my wife and friends and not getting up at the onerous hour of 5:15 to run in the dark and rain.   That is not to say that I am not running, it just means that I am not running as much as I was, want to, or need to.   So I have made a goal for the month!   Run 20 miles per week every week of October

That said, I got off to a bad start.   Monday would be the first day of the week, and I had every intention of running, but between worries about the lay offs Monday which was causing some serious stress related stomach issues, and my late night the night before (trying to keep my mind off said lay offs) I missed out on running.   Tuesday, even after knowing that I had continuous employ, I was concerned about the lingering stomach rearing its ugly head on even a short easy run.

I did finally get back on the saddle, so to speak, yesterday with what turned out to be a fantastic run.   I hit the roads early to dark clouds and a smattering of rain.   I took off on my trusty two mile loop in hopes of getting 4 miles in.   My loop runs up the hill from my house and back down through the neighborhood, at both ends there are two mini-loops that are between .65 and .75 miles in length, great little add ons to a run.

Well, I was feeling so good yesterday that I decided to do the mini-loop at the bottom of the hill an extra time before taking off back up, then once up there I decided to add that one an extra time too.   I ended up finishing a great 5 mile run up yesterday morning in just under 45 min.   Then it was off to work for a very busy day (we did lose one guy from my group).

On the other side of this coin, the run when and how I feel like coin, my wife and mother in-law are a bit concerned that I am giving up the running.   Which is not really the case, I just haven't been prioritizing it, and it probably has to do a lot with the job stress mentioned above.   Which caused me to really slow down how much running I have been doing.   I have no intentions of giving up (I am far to addicted to the feeling of running), just interested in finding a balance in my life.   I just feel like doing a few other things while trying to make sure I maintain a level of fitness I am comfortable with.   I am pretty sure that my running buddy went through this after the Half we did in June.

To that end I am looking at Half-Marathons (or longer) in the April to June time frame.   Of course, I am going to run Bloomsday again in May and am looking forward to that.   But, I am looking for races in the Washington state Oregon area.   So if you know any that are awesome, or that you are going to run in too, let me know.
Just remember to have fun out there guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment