Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Phone

I, as are many other people in this world, am very attached to my phone.  Particularly this phone, a Droid 2, which I use to keep track of many things including my email and my running.  Well, on Tuesday my phone suffered a most unfortunate accident, involving the better part of a Nalgene's worth of water.  As most know, water and electronics do not mix.  After taking the phone apart and drying it off to the best I could at the office, I finally managed to get it into a bowl of rice over at the In-Laws' house.  After getting home I added rice to the bowl and phone in hopes of drying it out.

Then this morning I put the battery back in the phone and attempted to start it up again...drum-roll please...nothing.  Not a darn thing, no lights, no sounds, nothing.  Maybe the battery is dead, plugged it in, and after a shower...still not a darn thing.  A trip to the store is now in order.  Come lunch time, the family picked me up to take me over to the phone store and get lunch.  I have to say that the Verizon insurance service is apparently very easy to use and relatively fast.  I walked in told them the problem, and in about 15 minutes, my new phone was ordered and on its way to my house, and will be here tomorrow.

Now, for those that don't think that the insurance on phones is a good deal, I would say, that normally, I am one of them, but I am prone to phone problems.  I have washed my phone with my clothes, had the screen out right die on me, now with the water.  My wife has had problems with her phones too, as she went through three phones (the same phone model) during our last contract.  So, if you guys are unsure about insurance on the phones, know that you will be pleased that you have it if you ever really need it.

A bit about running:  After taking last Thursday/Friday off, I did get in my long run, 4 miles, matching my longest distance to this point.  Then this week, with the phone problem Tuesday, it looked like I was due to miss yet another run, this time a speed/interval set.  But, I regrouped today and got my run in today.  A speed set where I put in two, 1 mile, intervals.  I hope these pay off as the half-marathon training progresses.  The schedule is set this week, Friday a 2-3 mile Tempo run, and Sunday's 5 mile run.  Sounds like one of these will be in some snow, which is just par for the course. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment