Friday, December 30, 2011

Goals we don't need no stinkin' Goals!

So this really did end up being like a trilogy.   Parts 1 and 2 were a look back at the last year for running, and if this were a Back to the Future movie we would be going way back in time.   But since the sequence of the movies and sequence of these blogs don't line up this is more like Back to the Future 2, you know, where Marty goes to the future to save his kid.

Untrue to the title of this blog (right like there are runners without goals) I have several hearty goals for the upcoming year.  But since this is a running blog, let's focus on the running goals.   I was going to lead off with "GET FASTER" but looking at yesterday's Tempo where I cruised through 4 miles at 26:58, maybe I should just work on maintain faster.

Any who, my early season goals are speed work.   Followed very much by the main goal of the year, drum roll please...I am going to train for and run my first marathon.   My friend and I are planning on running the San Francisco Marathon on July 29.

I have all the details worked out, training plan is all but set, my running buddy is in full bore too, just need to sit down with him and work through the details of the training plan.   The secondary goal, as we should all have some attainable mileage goals, is to run 100 miles a month or 1500 miles for the year.  I chose this because last year my goal was 50 miles a month, or 600 miles for the year, and once I built up to a nice mileage I was able to hit 50 every month, so this one seems pretty attainable. I think that the end of the year will be the hardest part, Christmas always seems to be a bit of a slow down season.
So here is the race lineup for the year.
  • 1/1/12 - Thunder Run 5k - A great way to start the year.
  • 2/26/12 - Tri-Cities Half-Marathon - the inaugural race!
  • 3/10/12 - St. Patrick's Day Foot Race, 10k - St. Patty's day is the next week.
  • 5/6/12 - Bloomsday, 12k - Such an awesome race!
  • 7/29/12 - San Francisco Marathon - My first marathon!
  • 9/22/12 - Indian Summer Half Marathon - A good test between marathons
  • 10/28/12 - Tri-Cities Marathon - If all goes well in SF, then I plan on going all out for this one, as it is a great flat fast course.
2012 Tentative Races -
  • 6/17/12 - Vancouver USA Half Marathon - Redemption for last year.
  • Assorted 5 and 10k fun runs.
Mileage Goals:

100 miles per month or 1500 for the year.

All right then.   Good luck to all of you and your goals in 2012, and remember to have fun out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment