Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Trukey Trotting (Or How I will Spend Thanksgiving Morning)

Yesterday was tiring.   I was up early so that I could get into work early.   The deal I have with my boss is that if I have basketball games then I need to come in early to make up for leaving early.   No problems with that, though most of the day was spent in anticipation of getting back out on the basketball court to referee.  Needless to say that I was raring to go at 3 yesterday afternoon for the games at 4. Last year I joined the association about half way through the season, and without much in the way of training (read: None), I was thrown to the wolves as an unsuspecting newbie.   But, I know the game well and really enjoy officiating so I stuck with it.   I even finished the season with a great game with a long time official in the association, turns out there is a way to get that 'high' without running.

Last night I got to get back into the swing of things a bit easier, by doing Middle School ball.   Again, as the association is emphasizing growth and bringing in younger officials, I was paired with a more veteran guy for a pair of B team games.   These are nice relaxing (in the loosest sense of the word) games, because you get to let these kids play and only really have to call the obvious stuff.   Now, I know what you are thinking, how does this relate to running, heck how does this even relate to Turkey?

Now, the reason I really got into basketball last season was a means of staying active, and running so I wasn't outside in 15* weather.   I now realize its potential for short speed sessions  Last night's games are classic games, you get going with the teams easing in and testing one another out, then suddenly you get a minute of fast breaks with the kids sprinting the floor back and forth, with the officials covering about 3/4 of court on those.   I love it, you get the sprinting, the leisurely jog down the court, the ambling walk, then back to the sprinting.   In the end, between enjoying returning something to the kids (it is about them after all) and the forced running (I didn't do 'miles' because I had basketball) I think it is win-win.

Ok, Ok, Ok, I realize that I still haven't talked about turkey.   In case you were unaware, America's most beloved tradition is next week.   I am, of course, referring to Turkey Trots, and you thought I was going to say something about Thanksgiving, huge feasts, and football.   Yesterday, I signed up for the local Turkey Trot, all proceeds go to the local Red Cross, not as good as donating blood, but it is something none the less.
  The race is a nice little 5k down in one of the local parks, one of my running buddies is planning on running with me, then we are going to go and get some breakfast before heading home for family dinners (I guess if I want to have breakfast and dinner I might want to stretch that 5k into a 6 miler or so).

Sunday, I went out with both running partners.   One completed his first 10 mile run ever, while the other (who ran the marathon relay with me) managed to push on his sore knee and is feeling better about his upcoming Seattle Half in 10 days.   It was a nice run, the weather was gorgeous, a beautiful fall run.

No comments:

Post a Comment