Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Nervousness

I am down to just 11 days until the Vancouver USA Half-Marathon, Sunday, June 19.  I can't tell if I am nervous excited or nervous terrified for this run.  This being my first attempt at running the full 13.1 miles.  My training as been outstanding over the last four months, but that doesn't mean that the ol' thinker isn't getting in the way of the physical abilities.

I have completed two twelve mile runs, even though the training plan called for only one 12 miler.  I completed the first one by myself back during the second weekend in May in just under 2 hours, and I thought I was going to be sore for a month (it was only a couple days, nothing new after a new distance).  Then this Sunday I ran with my training partner on the regularly scheduled 12 mile run and we did it in just over 2 hours.  The difference being that I felt great after this run.  I felt like I had enough energy to go another couple of miles (the difference between 9:45m/m and 11:00m/m).  This gives me great hope that the distance won't be a problem.  Hopefully I can push myself to complete this race under 2 hours.  So I have settled on nervous excited (though I imagine the brain is still doubtful).

Some future plans:  I am going to run in my local marathon - The Tri-Cities Marathon, October 30th. If I can convinve my wife, or if she can convince her parents, I would like to do the Surf City Marathon in February.  My wife has family down there, so convincing isn't so much of let's go, its how do we get there to avoid winter weather in the north.  Though with a friend's baby shower, and my son's birthday party all this weekend, the planning may not happen until Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment